Pneumonia is one of the most common infection across the globe. This respiratory infection causes millions of hospitalisations and a huge number of deaths, especially in third world countries. Its universal presence and ability to infect people of all ages make it a perilous and threatening and respiratory disease.
What is Pneumonia?
Pneumonia is a lung infection that infects either one or both the lungs. It is caused by a bacterial, viral or fungal infection. The pneumococcus Streptococcus pneumoniae bacterium causes major cases of pneumonia. The acute respiratory tract infection causes the inflammation of the air sacs in one or both lungs. The air sacs in the lungs may fill with fluid or pus, causing multiple pneumonia symptoms. The common symptoms of pneumonia are fever, cough, chills, shortness of breath, and fatigue.
Who should consider Pneumonia vaccination?
The following groups of people should consider getting the Pneumonia vaccination.
- Adults who have attained their age of 65 years and older should get the Pneumonia vaccination. At such age, the immunity is not capable of fighting against the infection all by itself.
- People (More than two years old) who have a chronic heart or lung disorder like congestive heart failure, diabetes mellitus, alcoholism, spinal fluid leaks, chronic liver disease, cardiomyopathy, chronic bronchitis, emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- People (More than two years old) who have spleen dysfunction or asplenia (lack of spleen function) blood malignancy (leukemias), kidney failure, multiple myeloma, etc.
Which are the types of pneumonia vaccine available on NHS?
1. Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV)
This vaccine is used to vaccinate children under two years old. It's also known by its brand name 'Prevenar 13.'
2. Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPV)
This vaccine is given to adults aged 65 and over and to people who are at high risk due to long-term health conditions.
Where to get the Pneumonia Vaccine?
Pneumonia can prove fatal even with good care, and it should be taken seriously. Bids Chemist is renowned vaccination service provider in the UK that offers Pneumonia vaccination at comparable rates. Bids Chemist is located at Norbury offering prompt quality vaccination services and patient-friendly health consultations. If you stay at Croydon, Streatham Vale or Thornton Heath, we are within your reach. If you are looking for a reliable Pneumo jab, our experts at the Bids Chemist can offer efficient Pneumonia vaccination services.
Contact us for more information.
Don't let flu floor you this winter! Our trained pharmacist will offer you a private flu jab for just 10 this winter season. Exclusion criteria apply. There is no need to book...Read More
Mon to Fri - 9am to 6:30pm
Sat - 9am to 6pm
Sun - Closed